HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE
TITLE OF THE UNIT: Hardware and software
TEACHER: Jesús Nicolás Abellán
PLANTILLA DE LA DIDÁCTICA: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-_v9A_Twg2BRXZnUWY4SVJNSWM/edit?usp=sharing
1. Introduction and context.
In this unit we will look at the computers, can you imagine a world without computers? Computers are everywhere, in companies in factories, at home in offices,… The great power of computers are their versatility. The same computer can be used for playing video games and in other moment it can be controlling a machine or searching information on the Internet. The software o program makes a computer do a different thing with the same machine or hardware. In this subject we will study the two main parts of computers: hardware and software and their main characteristics.
We will use 11 lessons in this unit.
This unit develops the following contents:
2. Didactic aims.
· To recognize the components of a computer (internal and external).
· To understand how they work and relate to the machine as a whole.
· To understand the basic functions of an operating system.
· To manage the basic operation of an operating system.
3. Assessment criteria.
· To indentify the main components of a computer systems: internal and external: motherboard, microprocessor, mouse, keyboard, hard disk, …
· To know how connect the peripherals to the computer.
· To know what an operating system do.
· To manage the graphic interface to be able to communicate with the computer.
4. Sequence of Learning Activities.
Lesson 1. Lead in and warm up. In this first lesson we are going to have a debate in English about the importance that computer have in our lives and in our style of live. The teacher encourages students to write in a piece of paper five main uses that a computer has and their importance in modern society. After that in an order way the whole class can have a discussion about that. This activity will take the main part of the lesson. The final part the teacher will present to the students the whole subject and will draw a schema about that. In this lesson we will watch the video Computers hardware in plain English: http://youtu.be/BO6WNCgqSh0
Lesson 2. What is computer science?
In this lesson the teacher gives an explanation of the key word, and structures and the students tell say the key words and structures aloud. The teacher explain the binary numbering system in Spanish.
· In the digital board the teacher writes the words output, input, process and the students have to use this word with a object to treat; picture, text and they have to set the order and say aloud the process:
· I write a text in the computer.
· The computer process the text, give it format …
· I print out the text…..
· Fill the gaps: In group of five students the teacher give the students the words transmit, saves, collect, transform and organises and give some sentences as examples. The students have to do 5 sentences each group and reach an agreement an in the end say aloud. Ex: The computer transform data into information…. In this lesson we will watch the video: How to identify the components inside your computer: http://youtu.be/yRmPTbGBqVI and then we will watch a summary and a quiz of such video: https://www.blubbr.tv/game/index.php?game_id=15768&org=0#.U3SfS-IxjOv
Lesson 3. Computer components (I): Hardware, CPU, memories, Storage devices.
o Presentation Hardware and software: http://www.slideshare.net/Susheel-Jain/hardware-10492211
o In group of five students discuss the differences between memory and storage and reach an agreement.
o Student should look in the Internet or brochures characteristics of memory and storage of several computer and then guess why some of them are more expensive than other.
o The teacher give each group of students a real part of a computer: main board, microprocessor, memory, hard disk, DVD, and each group should make a short presentation where say their characteristics, use, … to the rest of the class.
o We will watch the interactive video: Data Storage
Lesson 4. Computer components (II): Hardware, Peripheral devices: input, output, input/output
· In group of five students discuss the differences between the different types of peripherals.
· Student should look in the Internet or brochures characteristics of several peripherals and then guess why some of them are more expensive than other.
· The teacher give each group of students a real different peripheral and each group should make a short presentation where say their characteristics, use, … to the rest of the class.
· We will watch the interactive video Input devices, processing and output devices http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/ict/hardware/0inputandoutputdevices_act.shtml
Lesson 5. Computer components: Hardware consolidation activities.
· The teacher give students several pictures related with the subject and the student should identify the components.
· The teacher give students a set of pictures of different peripherals and they have to indicate that they are input, output or input/output.
· The students have to create a diagram of the different components that they can find on a computer.
· The teacher give to each group of student a real mainboard and students should draw it, and indicate where are the different ports and why are there, and the main components.
Lesson 6. Computer components: Software.
· In group of five students discuss the differences between the different types of software and look for examples of them.
· Student should look in the Internet or brochures characteristics of different operating systems.
· In group student have to guess why software is so important specially the operating system.
· We will watch the video Computer software in plain English: http://youtu.be/VumBNb6gcBk
Lessons 7 and 8. Computer components: Software. The Windows operating system.
· The students are sit down in front of a computer in group of two. First the teacher give student a white piece of paper with the schema of a desktop and the student have to identify all the elements.
· The teacher give a schema of a structure of files and folder nested and the student have to create one similar with their name.
· Run several programs at the same time, for example word, calc and paint.
· Create several shortcuts in the desktop and remove them.
· Using Windows explorer to manage, organize an search files and folders.
· Copy, paste and rename files and folder.
· Quizzes about hardware and software: http://www.teach-ict.com/gcse_computing/gcse_computing_quizzes.htm
Lessons 9 and 10. Presentation about types of hardware in a computer.
· In group of two. Students will make a presentation giving information and comparing several computers characteristics found in commercial brochures or in the Internet.Lesson 11. Assessment.