DIDACTIC UNIT: THE SOLAR SYSTEM
THE SOLAR SYSTEM
Esta UD se va a trabajar en Science en 2º de Primaria.
Los elementos de la misma son las siguientes:
· To identify the main elements of the Solar System: star, planet, moon…
· To know some characteristics about the Earth.
· To recognize the planets of our Solar System.
· To understand rotation and revolution movements and their consequences.
· To explain the moon phases.
· Elements of the Solar System.
· Characteristics of the Earth.
· Name of the planets.
· Rotation and revolution.
· Moon phases.
3.Language Content / Communication
· Nouns: universe, space, the Solar System, the Sun, the Earth, the Moon, planets, satellite, moon, star, astronaut, spaceship, rocket, telescope, crater, the Milky Way, galaxy, ring, revolution, rotation, full/ new/first quarter/last quarter moon…
· Verbs: to blast off, to land, to move around, to spend, to fly, to orbit, to live…
· Adjectives: big, small, near, far, gassy, rocky, outer, inner, shiny, dwarf,powerful, dark…
· Prepositions: around, between…
· How many planets are there in the Solar System?
· Is Pluto a planet?
· Does the Sun move?
· Are all the stars the same?
· How is the Moon?
· Do you know the name of any planets?
· Is there life in outer space? …
· Comparatives : Venus in smaller than Jupiter.
· Descriptions: It is…/ It has got … : The Earth is medium size. It has got one moon.
· Can/ can't : Astronauts can travel to the Moon but they can't go to the Sun.
· Present simple: Planets move around the Sun/Stars have different size.
· Classroom management:
· How do you say in English …?
· Can you repeat it, please?
· I don't understand it/ I don't know.
· I think …
· Is the Moon a planet? Yes, it is / No it isn't.
· Has Mercury got 5 moons? Yes, it has/ No it hasn't.
Exposition, narration, description.
Listening, reading, speaking, writing.
4. Contextual (cultural) element
We are going to prioritize the elements students can see day by day as the moon phases, the stars, the day and night, the seasons and then we are going to learn new contents from there.
5. Cognitive (thinking) processes
Listen and understand the contents and information, repeat them, look for information, analyze it, explain the information, produce.
6. (a) Task(s)
We are going to make a mural of the Solar System with some of the elements (planets, stars, the Moon…) we had studied. We are also going to build a rocket with recycle materials.
6. (b) Activities
· Introduction to the topic. (S1)
· Flashcards and images to introduce the vocabulary and introduction of questions and structures. (S1)
· Information about planets. (videos, encyclopedias…). (S2, 3)
· Worksheet about planets. (S2, 3)
· Worksheets related to rockets and astronauts and "Climb aboard the spaceship" song. (S4)
· Moon phases art craft. (S6)
· Revision of contents.(S5, S7)
· Visit to the Planetarium. (S10)
· Starting the mural in groups and build the rocket. (S8 & S9)
Organization and class distribution / timing
10 sessions of 50 minutes : 1 session to introduce the topic (previous knowledge, contents we want to learns, vocabulary…);2 sessions to work the planets; 1 session to moon phases art craft, 1 session to work about rockets and astronauts, 2 sessions for revision, 1 session to visit the Planetarium; 2 sessions to make the mural and the rocket.
Resources / Materials
Computer, Internet, encyclopedias, books, classroom materials (crayons, white paper, markers, scissors…)
ENLACES A VIDEOS
Outer space: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8MUa3vmBSU
Phases of the moon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWeaQctUp1c
Climb aboard the spaceship: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jM8SXq3VOA
ENLACES A ACTIVIDADES Y JUEGOS
ENLACES A PÁGINAS DE INTERÉS
ENLACES ACTIVIDADES CREADAS (para trabajar en esta UD)
· Linguistic communication
· Competence in knowledge of and interaction with the physical world.
· Competence in processing information and use of ICT.
· Cultural and artistic competence.
· Learning to learn.
8. Evaluation (criteria and instruments)
- He/she distinguishes the main elements of the Solar System.
- He/she knows the planets of the Solar System.
- He/she explains briefly revolution and rotation movements and their consequences.
- He/she identifies the moon phases.
- He/she knows some of the most relevant characteristics of the Earth.
- Worksheets and assessments (tasks).
- Record list.
9. Enlace Google Drive
Alba Guerra Valderrey